Open Records Requests
Open Records Policy for all Fiscal Court Departments
- All applicants must complete a copy of the Open Records Request Form or provide an alternate request which includes all statutorily required information. The Open Records Request Form is available in hard copy from the fiscal court clerk., available for download on this site or may be submitted electronically. Questions may be directed to the Fiscal Court Clerk at 606-796-2722. Effective June 29, 2021, open records requests may also be submitted via the Attorney General's standardized form which may be found here.
- Open Records Request Forms shall be submitted to the Official Custodian, Fiscal Court Clerk, 112 Second St, Room 201, Vanceburg, Kentucky 41179 during regular office hours (Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.) (Wednesday 8:00 a.m to 12:00 pm.). Requests may be submitted in person, via fax (606-796-0822)or e-mailed to the County Attorney at email@example.com. Open records requests may also be submitted electronically by clicking here. Requests should be itemized and described as clearly as possible by the applicant.
- Pursuant to HB 312 (2021) and codified in part in KRS 61.870, only residents of the Commonwealth may request to inspect public records. The definition of resident includes individuals and businesses living operating and working within the Commonwealth, as well as, news-gathering organizations.
- State law requires a written response to an open records request be issued within five days (excluding Saturdays, Sundays and legal holidays). The five-day timeframe begins the day after receipt of the request. For more information, go to https://ag.ky.gov/Pages/default.aspx and click on “Protecting Your Right to Know.” Certain items may be excluded in whole or part if they contain exempted information as prescribed under KRS 61.878.
- Records will be made available consistent with open records statutory requirements. For records requested to be inspected, a time shall be coordinated with the requester with the notification of the approval of the request. All records reviewed shall be re-assembled by the applicant in their original order. If copies are removed from clips or bound folders, these documents shall be replaced in their original order in a neat and orderly fashion. No person shall remove original copies of public records from this office without the written permission of the Official Custodian.
- Copies of records are available for the following charges, payable in advance:
a) Non-commercial document requests $ .10 per copy
b) Non-commercial recordings, computer disks, tapes $5.00 per copy
- For non-commercial requests, if record is available in digital format and has been specifically requested to be sent via e-mail, the County will accommodate this request at no charge. For records requested to be copied, placed on a disc and/or mailed, the charge (@ $ .10 per copy; $5.00 per disc and actual cost of postage) will be noted with the approval notification letter and copies or disc provided and/or mailed when the copy/disc/ postage fee is remitted and received by the Fiscal Court Clerk.
- Commercial requests, special requests, or those requested in a non-standardized format shall be subject to higher fees taking into account loss of staff time and actual cost of reproduction. All fees will be noted prior to copying and documents provided when fees are remitted to the Fiscal Court Clerk.
- The Lewis County Fiscal Court is NOT custodian of records for the Lewis County Sheriff. The elected Sheriff serves as custodian for such records. . Request for Records from the Lewis County Sheriff may be submitted to: Johnny Bivens, Sheriff. Lewis County Sheriff. 112 Second St Room 102. Vanceburg, KY 41179. Fax: 606-796-2463. Open Records Rules & Regulations
- The Lewis County Fiscal Court is NOT custodian of records for the Lewis County Jail. The elected Lewis County Jailer serves as custodian for such records. Request for Records from the Lewis County Jail may be submitted to: Bryon Walker, Jailer. Lewis County Jail. 112 Second St Room 104. Vanceburg, KY 41179. Fax: 606-796-0822.
- The Lewis County Fiscal Court is NOT custodian of records for the Lewis County Planning Commission. The Planning Commission is an independent agency and serves as custodian of its records. Request for Records from the Lewis County Planning Commission may be submitted to: Lewis County Planning Commission Board. P.O Box 634, Vanceburg, KY 41179. Open Records Policy
Commission may be submitted to: Lewis County Planning Commission Board. P.O Box 634, Vanceburg, KY 41179.